Posted on | January 17, 2012 | 4 Comments
Why do I support healthy eating and healthy lifestyles? The answer to this question is why I love cooking, why I love eating and why I live for today.
Not only for my own health issues (chronic migraines, scoliosis, chronic tension pain and Hypoglycemia), my mother just found out she has Type 2 diabetes and my daughter was tested positive for Scoliosis and has been showing signs of tension pain and head aches. Not to mention knowing that when I turned 40 in the year 2000 it became increasingly apparent that I was no longer able to keep my pristine 114lb (no matter what I ate) figure, and still remain, oh, lets call it, LAZY, lifestyle… The pain I was experiencing in my lower back from arthritis was killing me, and now with my daughter starting to show signs of following in my footprints… It woke me up.. To say the least.
It was time to get serious about eating healthier, living healthier and promoting a healthy lifestyle among my family and friends as well. IE.. which is where my blog comes in. I plan to share many more things than just my obsession of food, but that is to come later on. Now we are brought to here and today.
I love to cook and I love to create recipes with things that we would have on hand anyway. Pretzels are something that we have on hand all the time for a quick filling snack along with fresh fruit. So I wanted to see what I could create using the pretzels, to mix it up a bit.
I hope you enjoy this 3 part (or 3 Course) meal that I have prepared.
Each recipe may not be solely my idea, but I can guarantee I didn’t find the recipe anywhere but in my own head.
The 2 part Dessert recipe is comprised of My favorite recipe and my daughters favorite. Please, if you try any of our recipes, I would love to hear back from you on it. Good or bad.. either way, comment and let me know.
- 1 bag of spring baby leaf salad mix (or get baby spinach, arugula and other spring greens)
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/8 cup sunflower seeds (May substitute with sliced almonds)
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup croutons
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 2 radishes sliced very thinly
- 3 green stem onions chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or cherries
- 1/2 head of fresh broccoli, florets only cut up into bite size pieces
- Raspberry vinaigrette
- in a medium to large bowl add bag of spring baby leaf salad mix (after it has been thoroughly washed / rinsed and gently dried in a spinner)
- top with all ingredients listed except dressing. Toss evenly..
- For best results and storage for later use, Dressing should be served on the side, or allow each individual to apply their own. A Healthy serving would be 1 Tablespoon per serving
This recipe is versatile, if you prefer chicken instead of Fish, you can replace it and all the better.
- 1 cup crushed pretzel pieces
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup of egg substitute (vegan Egg substitute)
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 4 boneless Tilapia filets
- seasoning salt of your choice ( I use Lawry’s brand garlic salt about 1 Tablespoon )
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil (or canola if you prefer)
- Pre heat oven to 400°F
- place egg substitute mixed with milk (liquid) into a bowl with a flat bottom, for dipping the the fish into: Set aside
- place crushed pretzels, whole wheat flour and seasoning salt (blended well) into a bowl with flat bottom, for dipping fish into and set aside
- using olive oil (or canola) place into a baking dish and spread all over the pan as much as possible.. Using a Spray might work better here.
- place a tilapia filet into the egg mixture, drenching it well on both sides
- then place the egg soaked tilapia in the flour mixture, dredging each side thoroughly
- place then the Tilapia in the pan, repeat steps 5 thru 7 for each remaining piece of Tilapia
- Cover Pan (with tilapia) in foil to ensure it doesn’t burn right off
- Place pan with Tilapia into the oven to bake for 15 minutes, at this time removed from over, remove the foil (throw away or recycle)
- check to see if Tilapia is done yet, you don’t want to overcook it. Fish will break apart very easily when it is done. Continue to cook for additional 5-8 minutes if not done yet. allow crust to get lightly browned
Dessert (2 parts my favorite and my daughters favorite)
Part 1 My favorite:
- 20 small Pretzels (normal, not stick or twists)
- 20 individually wrapped caramels (un wrapped)
- 20 pecan halves
- a bag of milk chocolate, chocolate chips (melted for dipping)
- preheat oven to 300°f
- arrange the pretzels in a single layer on the parchment lined cookie sheet. Place one caramel on top of each pretzel and place one pecan half on each caramel
- bake for 4 minutes. take out and let cool slightly, while the candy is warm (not hot) using a candy dipper (or a fork) dip each pretzel very carefully into the chocolate and place back onto the parchment lined cookie sheet, repeat for each candy. Allow to cool completely
- cover in an air tight container and enjoy.
Part 2 My Daughters Favorite:
Nutella organic Peanut butter pretzel sandwich (no crust please)
A simple, pleasing and healthier version of the all American PB&J (without the J)
- 2 slices of whole wheat bread or whole grain
- 1 Tablespoon of Nutella nut butter FOUND HERE
- 1 Tablespoon of Organic creamy peanut butter
- 3-4 Snyder’s brand pretzels, CRUSHED into tiny chunks.
- a butter knife
- place the two slices of bread in the toaster to be toasted once done put on a plate to continue on
- on one slice spread the peanut butter of your choice
- on the other slice spread the Nutella
- mash the two slices together nut butter side to nut butter side
- Trim the crust off if you like it that way (my daughter does)
- Serve alone or with a few slices of apple or an orange
“I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Snyder’s of Hanover blogging program, for 6,000 My SocialMoms Rewards Points. For more information on how you can participate, click here.”
This has been an A Mom’s Rantings
Recipe / FOOD review Post
Help support our Giveaways and reviews - Grab our button over on the side panel
Disclosure: I was contacted by and / or given for free product (‘s) by this Products / company for the purpose of reviewing a product / or providing a product giveaway. Any opinion given by me is my honest opinion and not an opinion otherwise swayed in any way by this company, I did not receive monetary compensation and all thoughts and opinions are mine. Quotes were taken directly from the website when possible or provided by the company themselves.